Did you read all the articles in this issue?
Take the Sizzle Quiz to test your knowledge.
1. What type of wood is most common for
smoking brisket in Central Texas?
d. Railroad ties
2. Central Texas barbecue cooking style emphasizes:
a. The more, the merrier!
b. Less is best
c. Low and slow
d. Thick and juicy
3. The word “bark” used in connection with
barbecued brisket refers to:
a. The part of the tree added to the smoker
b. The sound made by the wood burning
c. The burnt outer edge on the meat
d. None of the above
4. Sweetbreads, as in Sweetbreads Grenoble,
refers to what gland in the animal?
5. Before preparation, what must sweetbreads
first be soaked in?
c. Olive oil
6. Energy Star appliances are available in how
d. More than 70
7. Installing aerators on sink faucets can
potentially cut water use by what percentage?
8. A large part of Southern cuisine is about doing
what to reduce waste?
a. Recycling and reusing
c. Using secondary cuts of meat
d. Serving smaller portions
9. What is a key ingredient in Gullah cuisine?
10. What is unique about California that leads to
classic California cuisine?
a. Its large size
b. Its location in relation to Mexico
c. Its climate and environment
d. The diversity of plants
11. More than many other consumers, what do
Californians focus on?
a. Healthy living and eating
12. Years ago, farmers, communities and the
dining public in California told the hospitality
industry that they did not want to participate
in what kind of cuisine?
13. Corporate training chefs get to enjoy what?
b. A high salary
d. A work-life balance
14. What must a culinarian have before
becoming a corporate training chef
b. Mastery of a foreign language
c. A teaching degree
d. Restaurant success
15. What key career advice does Catherine
Proper give to students who want to be
b. Get a food science or Culinology degree
c. Get an internship in product development
d. All of the above
38 24 42