1 bay leaf
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 t. white peppercorns
2 egg yolks
8 oz. clarified butter
1 T. calcium lactate
¼ t. xanthan gum
1 T. tarragon reduction
Kosher salt, white pepper, cayenne pepper,
Tabasco and lemon juice, to taste
1. Combine white wine, white wine
vinegar, bay leaf, thyme sprigs
and white peppercorns in small,
nonreactive saucepan; reduce by
half over medium heat. Strain mixture.
2. Place 2 T. of mixture into stainless-steel
mixing bowl; mix in egg yolks. Place
mixing bowl on double boiler; whisk
until mixture reaches ribbon stage.
Remove from stove; slowly drizzle
in warm clarified butter, whisking
constantly to incorporate.
3. Add calcium lactate, xanthan gum
and tarragon reduction; whisk to
combine. Season to taste; reserve
Alginate bath ( 1 liter room-temperature
water; 6 g sodium alginate)
Seasoned all-purpose flour
2 eggs, whisked
1 cup panko, fine ground
Oil for frying
Kosher salt, to taste
1. Combine water and alginate; blend
well in immersion blender. Put mixture in
container; place in cryovac to remove
air from mixture (mixture can be made
a day ahead and gently warmed to
room temperature in advance).
2. Submerge 1 T. béarnaise in alginate
bath; invert to release from spoon.
Repeat with remaining béarnaise;
allow spheres to rest in alginate bath
for 10 minutes. Remove spheres from
bath; rinse in fresh warm water.
3. Blot dry with paper towel. Sprinkle
with seasoned flour, dip in egg wash,
4. Deep-fry at 350°F until golden-brown;
Drain. Season with salt; reserve for service.
Florida stone crab claws
4 large Florida stone crab claws
2 T. unsalted butter, divided
1 T. shallot, fine diced
Kosher salt and white pepper to taste
2 oz. white wine
1 t. fresh tarragon, chopped
1 t. fresh parsley, chopped
1 t. fresh chervil, chopped
1 t. fresh chives, chopped
1. Use heavy-duty spoon to crack crab
shells. Remove claw and knuckle
meat; keep meat whole.
2. In saute pan, heat 1 T. butter; sweat
shallot. Add crab, season with salt
and pepper. Deglaze with wine;
emulsify with remaining 1 T. butter.
Finish with herbs; reserve for service.
20 large green asparagus (approximately
4 large chives
½ cup light chicken stock
2 oz. unsalted butter, diced small
1 T. shallot, fine diced
Kosher salt and white pepper, to taste
1. Peel and trim asparagus to desired
size; prepare ice bath.
2. In large stockpot, bring water to a
boil, season with salt. Add asparagus;
blanch until tender. Place in ice bath.
Blanch chives for 5 seconds; place in
3. Place chives on work surface; lay 5
pieces asparagus same direction on
each chive. With each chive, tie four
tight bundles; trim excess.
4. In saucepan, heat stock to rapid boil.
Whisk in butter in stages to emulsify.
Add shallot; season to taste; reduce
heat. Place asparagus bundles in
butter sauce; gently reheat for service.
Drain excess butter. Serve one bundle
1. Place large swipe of potato/parsnip
puree down center of plate.
2. Center three slices each of veal
cheeks and tenderloin along with
sweetbreads on top of puree.
3. Directly across from tenderloin, place
standing asparagus bunch.
4. Surround plate with sauce from
5. On a diagonal across from
asparagus, place deep-fried
6. Lay crabmeat next to sphere and
place crab claw shell on top.