Did you read all the articles in this issue?
Take the Sizzle Quiz to test your knowledge.
1. Through his internship, what venue did Matt
Mornan find to be an unusual, yet satisfying,
career option for a culinary graduate?
a. Convenience store
b. Grocery store
2. Rated on a challenge scale, how does
ballontine coq au vin rank?
d. Nearly impossible
3. What is one of the challenges when sauteing
vegetables while making duxelle?
a. Getting the seasonings right
b. The difficulty of cleaning vegetables
c. Dealing with vegetable shrinkage
d. Accounting for the amount of water that
comes out of vegetables
4. What is a key ingredient in red-eye gravy?
a. Kidney beans
c. Cayenne pepper
5. According to Rick Tramonto, what is one skill
many chefs skip over?
c. Wine pairing
6. According to David Falk, you should view your
early career as what?
a. A time to look for a sous-chef position
b. A season of sacrifice
c. The time to find a mentor
d. The time to prove what you know
7. Snacks represent one in how many eating
occasions in the U.S.?
8. According to The NPD Group, what is the No.
1 snack food in the U.S.?
a. Potato chips
b. Ice cream
9. In 2008, Roy Choi became one of the pioneers
in today’s gourmet food truck movement when he
opened Kogi BBQ food truck in what city?
a. Portland, Ore.
b. Richmond, Va.
c. Los Angeles
10. True or false: License fees are different for
food trucks that cook onboard than for those that
serve prepared items.
11. The popularity of apple tarte Tatin rose to
celebrity status when it appeared on the menu of
a famous restaurant in what city?
12. When flipping a hot apple tarte Tatin to
remove it from the pan, how can you avoid
burning your wrist?
a. Slightly tilt the front of the pan down
b. Tap the bottom of the pan
c. Rest the pan in an inch of cold water first
d. Wait until the pan cools naturally
13. Turkish cuisine is largely the heritage of what
a. Great Timur
b. European Hun
14. What protein plays no role in Turkish cuisine?
15. Gayle Pirie, co-executive chef/co-proprietor
of Foreign Cinema, San Francisco, earned a
bachelor of arts degree in what?
a. Art history
b. Culinary management
c. Culinary arts
28 6 42