LE A D
LIKE “MIKE” CONTEST
DO YOU EVER WONDER what it takes to lead the largest
organization of professional chefs in the U.S.? American Culinary Federation (ACF)
students and apprentices are invited to enter the 2012 Lead Like “Mike” Contest for
your chance at unparalleled access to culinary leaders and top-notch networking
opportunities. One lucky student will be selected to attend the 2012 ACF National
Convention in Orlando, Fla., July 14-17, 2012, to be mentored by ACF National President
Michael Ty, CEC, AAC.
Five finalists will be selected for phone interviews. The winner will be announced by
June 6, 2012, and will receive airfare to Orlando, Fla. accommodations at the
Orlando World Center Marriott and full convention registration.
WHO CAN ENTER?
Applicants must be…
• A first-, second- or third-year full-time
culinary student enrolled in either a
degree-granting, diploma or certificate
postsecondary culinary program, or an
American Culinary Federation Education
Foundation Apprenticeship Program.
• An ACF member in good standing since
January 31, 2012.
• At least 18 years old.
• Available July 13-18, 2012.
• Organized, punctual and personable.
• A leader who can communicate well
with diverse groups and maintain a
To enter, submit the following information:
• A completed and signed application.
• A 500-word essay in English, no smaller
than 12 point font, describing how this
mentoring opportunity will help you
achieve your goal of being a culinary
leader. The essay must be your original
work and should not reference Michael
Ty more than twice.
• A high-resolution color photo in
appropriate chef apparel.
• A signed letter of endorsement from
your department chair and/or school/
apprenticeship director on official
SEND APPLICATION PACKAGES TO:
• Guests may not accompany the winner.
• All submissions become property of ACF.
• ACF reserves the right to contact faculty
or administrators at any entrant’s school
or apprenticeship program to confirm
enrollment and verify endorsement.
• Entrants agree, by signing a release waiver,
to allow ACF to use their photos, names
and essays in promotional materials.
ACF will give appropriate attribution, but
compensation will not be provided.
• Finalists should be prepared for a
comprehensive, professional phone interview
with Michael Ty and an ACF staff person.
• Failure to follow contest guidelines and essay
requirements will lead to disqualification.
• In the event that there are no qualified
candidates, ACF reserves the right to
cancel the contest.
MAY 2, 2012